Sunday, November 05, 2006

Our fears

The YMCA here has a rock wall that Tate and Garett have been dying to do. When we joined the Y, they said that there was no age restriction on climbing. So, we went during one of their Friday night sessions when it was open and saw a big sign that said, "Age 5 and up only". Garett was devastated. He tried not to cry, but he just couldn't help it. I promised I would ask the guy in charge if he would let a 4 1/2 yr old do it. I did ask the guy and he said they had had some bad experiences w/ kids under 5 doing it- mostly getting to the top and being too afraid to come down. I went back and told Garett all this. He said, "Mom, I am afraid of alive scorpions and volcanoes. But rock walls- I am not afraid of." Nonetheless, we had to follow the rule and sit this one out.